Mark Stephen MELVILLE

DOB - 1952

Age when missing - 38 years

Hair - Brown

Build - thin

Eyes - Green/Hazel

Height - 180cm

Distinguishing Features: 
Right leg shorter than the other and walks with a limp. Scaring on both calves. Specifically Y shape on right leg.


Mark Stephen Melville was last seen on 21 September 1990 when he was discharged from hospital at 3:30am and driven to a location in Hornsby NSW.
Some of Marks belongings were found in the Hornsby area near the location he was taken to. Mark’s family have grave concerns for his welfare.

Anyone with information that can assist is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.



Office of the Minister for Police

SYDNEY, 1st August 2007




MARK STEPHEN MELVILLE, aged 38, was last seen on the 21st September 1990 at Hornsby Railway Station NSW. Personal items belonging to Mark were located on a bush track at Mt Kuring Gai on the 22nd September 1990. It is strongly believed that Mark has met with foul play.

Notice is hereby given that a reward of up to one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) will be paid by the Government of New South Wales for information leading to the location of the remains of Mark Stephen Melville and the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the death of Mark Stephen MELVILLE.

The allocation of this reward will be at the sole discretion of the Commissioner of Police.

The urgent assistance and co-operation of the public is especially sought in the matter. Any information, which will be treated as confidential, may be given at any time of the

day or night any Police Station or by telephone -

Police Headquarters telephone (02) 9281 0000, or

Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000


Minister for Police

Reward of $100,000 to solve death of Mark Melville

A $100,000 reward is on offer for information leading to the arrest and conviction of one or more persons over the suspicious death of Mark Melville in Sydney on 21 September, 1990.

Mr Melville was last seen alive at the Hornsby Railway Station in the early hours of Friday morning - it is unknown what happened to him after that time.

Following a coronial inquest in January 2007, the Coroner concluded that Mr Melville had died some time on or after 21 September, 1990, but where he died and how he died could not be determined.

Clothing belonging to Mr Melville was found on a bush track at Mt Kuring-gai the day after his disappearance. This raised further suspicions for police who knew the victim could not have got to the walking track on his own, because of injuries he had suffered in a previous accident.

Mr Melville's body has never been found.

Mr Melville's mother provided a sample of her DNA to police, so it could be checked against any unidentified bodies discovered in NSW - but so far there has been no match.


$100k reward for missing person leads


The New South Wales Government is offering a $100,000 reward to try to solve a 17-year-old missing person case.

Thirty-eight-year-old Mark Melville disappeared in September 1990 and was last seen alive at Hornsby Railway Station, in Sydney's north.

Police Minister David Campbell says the money is being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

He says there are extremely suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Melville's death and his family deserve answers.

"The belongings of Mr Melville that were found on a bush track at Mt Kurringai have raised suspicions for police who knew that he could not have got to the walking track on his own, because of injuries he'd suffered in a previous accident," he said.

Mr Campbell says it is hoped the reward will encourage witnesses to come forward.

"Earlier this year the Coroner did make some findings and police never give up on these issues and cases such as this," he said.

Family surprised at reward over 1990 death

The family of a Sydney man who disappeared 17 years ago says the announcement of a $100,000 reward for information about his death came as a shock.

Yesterday the New South Wales Police Minister, David Campbell, made a public appeal for information about the suspicious death of Mark Melville.

Mr Melville's sister, Elwin Hewitt, says the family was not told about the public announcement.

"Till yesterday when we heard it on the radio we hadn't actually been informed of how much it would be and when it would be offered so it came as a bit of a shock to all of us," she said.

Her brother was last seen in September 1990 at Hornsby Railway Station in Sydney's north.

Police became suspicious when his clothing was found a day later at Mt Kuring-gai in the same region.

The family hopes the $100,000 reward will bring an end to the search for answers.

Ms Hewitt says hearing the call for people to come forward felt like the first time she heard he went missing.

"We didn't know it was going to be announced and it was only that we had the radio on," she said.

"Then I had a lot of phone calls from different people that we know that had told us that they had heard it as well."