Paul Stephen WILSON



Solo bushwalker feared lost

   ALICE CLARIDGE   |   April 01, 2012 12.01am - The Mercury


POLICE hold serious concerns for a visiting NSW man who failed to return from a solo one-day bushwalk at Mt Field on Monday.

More than 50 police, search-and-rescue personnel, SES volunteers, a search dog, and the Westpac Police Rescue Helicopter were involved in the search for Paul Stephen Wilson.

Mr Wilson, 49, who has a medical condition that police would not specify, was reported missing on Thursday afternoon. The search began at Mt Field the following day.

He was last seen on Monday when he hired a vehicle in Hobart.

When Mr Wilson did not arrive back in NSW on Wednesday, his wife reported him missing.

His rental car, a white 1999 Hyundai Getz, registration number B41DI, was found yesterday afternoon at the start of the Mt Field East walking track on Lake Dobson Rd.

Police said it was not known how long the car had been there.

"Today, the search has focused on the lower Mt Field area covering about 20sq km and tomorrow we will focus on the Lake Dobson area," Sergeant Paul Steane said.

It is believed Mr Wilson flew into Hobart on March 9 to take part in a bike riding tour group and then intended to spend a few days travelling Tasmania on his own.

Police said he'd been staying at backpacker accommodation.

The search was called off last night at dusk but operations will resume today at first light.

Mr Wilson is described as being of slim, athletic build, about 65kg, and 168cm tall, with mousy brown hair and blue eyes.

He has a large surgical scar on his head and small scars above his eyes. He is believed to be wearing a sky blue fleecy jumper, grey or black trousers and runners.

Sgt Steane said it was believed that Mr Wilson had been only lightly equipped for his day walk.

The temperature in the area Mr Wilson was walking has been dropping to about 7C overnight.

Police want anyone who has information on his whereabouts to contact them on 131 444 or at Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


Chopper joins search

   ZARA DAWTREY   |   April 02, 2012 12.47pm - The Mercury

THE Westpac Police Rescue helicopter has joined the search for missing New South Wales man Stephen Wilson.

The 49-year-old was reported missing on Thursday after he failed to return home to NSW on Wednesday.

Mr Walker was last seen on Monday and is believed to have been walking through Mt Field National Park.

Police found his vehicle at the park entrance after launching the search on Friday.

There are now grave concerns for the welfare of the missing man who requires medication for seizures related to a brain tumour.

A large ground party made up of SES workers, volunteers and police continues to comb the wilderness but is so far yet to find any sign of him.


Police fear time running out for missing man

Updated April 02, 2012 12:11:43 - ABC

Police dog handlers are worried the scent trail of a tourist has deteriorated since he went missing in Tasmania's south last week.

Paul Wilson, of New South Wales, was last seen on Monday when he went for a bushwalk in the Mount Field National Park.

The alarm was raised after the 49-year-old failed to meet up with a friend on Thursday.

Police inspector Stuart Scott says time is working against the search team.

"It just makes it a lot harder for us and obviously traces and using the dog, it's a long time after the event."

Emergency services scoured dense bushland near Mr Wilson's rental car yesterday.

Today's search will concentrate on Mount Field East where it is easy to become disorientated in misty conditions.

Audio: Insp. Stuart Scott says the missing man was lightly dressed. (ABC News)


Police will announce soon whether they will continue the search which has involved about 50 people.

Inspector Scott says police have been in contact with Mr Wilson's family and are assessing options.

"We're obviously having discussions about the ongoing nature of the search."

"We're having another go today, so we've got some volunteers and police up there to cover areas we haven't managed to get to and we'll be sending the helicopter up again, but the search is now getting very long in the tooth," he said.

Time running out for walker

   JENNIFER CRAWLEY   |   April 02, 2012 12.01am - The Mercury

A HUGE search and rescue operation failed to find missing NSW man Paul Stephen Wilson yesterday.

The search for the missing bushwalker, who is believed to have disappeared walking in Mt Field National Park, moves into its fourth day today.

Mr Wilson has not been seen since last Monday. He was reported missing on Thursday afternoon after failing to return to NSW on Wednesday.

Police began their search on Friday afternoon and Mr Wilson's rental car was found near the entrance to the Lake Nicholls track at Mt Field.

Inspector Stuart Scott said police remained hopeful, but admitted the chances of finding Mr Wilson alive were diminishing.

Mr Wilson was wearing sneakers, jeans and a lightweight polar fleece top when he set out on what was meant to be a three-hour bushwalk.

He takes medication for seizures related to a brain tumour.

Night temperatures have been between 4C and 7C in the Mt Field area in the past week.

Insp Scott said people have survived worse conditions.

A team of 10 police, a police dog, rescue helicopter, SES personnel and volunteer bushwalkers are scouring the bush each day.

"It's a pretty difficult and challenging environment," Insp Scott said.

"We are absolutely reliant on volunteers."

Bushwalkers with more than 40 years experience were flown by helicopter to search areas deep in the bush yesterday.

Mr Wilson did not sign the bushwalkers' register and did not take his mobile phone.


Police scale back search

Updated April 03, 2012 08:25:11 - ABC

Tasmanian police have scaled back the search for a New South Wales man who is missing in a national park in the state's south.

Paul Wilson, 49, has not been seen since he went on a walk in the Mount Field National Park last Monday.

Inspector Stuart Scott says while the search continues, the chances of survival are very small.

He says volunteers and police have covered new areas.

"There were some very difficult areas in terms of terrain, scrub and cliffs that we want to have another look at and we've also put the helicopter over it again."

The ground search will resume on Tuesday morning.

Police call off search for missing bushwalker Paul Wilson, claiming no chance' of survival

TASMANIAN police believe there is no chance that a NSW bushwalker missing in the wilderness is still alive.

The search to find Paul Stephen Wilson, 49, of Tuggerah, which involved a Westpac rescue helicopter and 50 Search and Rescue officers and SES volunteers, has been called off.

He has not been heard from since March 26, when he hired a car in Hobart.

Police believe Mr Wilson set out four days ago on a bushwalk at Mount Field East walking track on Lake Dobson Road in the Mt Field National Park northwest of Hobart.

Inspector Stuart Scott said every effort had been made to find the bushwalker with police searching the area a number of times on the ground and by air.

"In our review of the search we have sought the advice of medical professionals with expertise in bushwalking and exposure, and advice to police is there is no longer the possibility of finding Mr Wilson alive," he said.