Peter James JOHNSON

   Peter Johnson, last seen at 10pm on April 16, 2003 standing beside his parked green 1998 Ford utility (522EZX) on the Peak Downs Highway, near Boundary Creek bridge, Nebo. Picture: Contributed

                                                                                          Peter Johnson with his mother Heather.


Name: Peter James JOHNSON Last seen: 2003 Year of Birth: 1967 Sex: Male Eyes: Blue Hair: Light Brown/Blonde Height: 175cm Build: Proportionate Complexion: Fair

Circumstances:  Peter was last seen standing next to a vehicle on Peak Downs Highway, via Mt. Nebo, Mackay QLD. Peter has made no contact with his family or friends to this date.

Circumstances (2): Peter JOHNSON was last seen at 7:30pm on Thursday on 17th April 2003 possibly standing beside his parked vehicle on the Suttor Development Rd, near Lake Elphinstone, east of Nebo, (near Boundary Creek, near Rockhampton, QLD). His vehicle was left locked at this location and Peter has not been seen since. The vehicle is a green Ford utility, Qld reg. number: 522EZX


Peter, if you're reading this, your Dad and Evelyn are desperate to know if you're alive. Please contact them to ease their minds, or send a message through this website.


Family told missing man is dead - The Daily Mercury

TWO psychics have now told Peter James Johnson’s devastated family he is dead.

Now they just want their missing son and brother’s body returned to them so he can have a ‘‘decent Christian burial’’.

The Johnson family has lived with the mystery of Peter’s disappearance since April 16, 2003, when the then 35-year-old miner was last seen at Glenden.

The discovery of Peter’s iridescent green Ford ute on the Peak Downs Highway near Boundary Creek Bridge, 16km north of Nebo, sparked a full scale search after he went missing.

Although sceptical, Peter’s father George Johnson said he visited acclaimed Sydney clairvoyant Debbie Malone in an effort to try and find answers and bring some peace to his family.

"I told her nothing but that I was searching for somebody,’’ he said yesterday.
Almost immediately, she told him his son was dead and a group of four men were responsible for his death.

‘‘She believes that he was bashed at the back of a hotel,’’ Mr Johnson said.

Ms Malone had described one of the men as a ‘‘pig shooter with a white four-wheel-drive ute with spotlights’’.

‘‘Apparently (she said) they’re well-known and disliked in the area,’’ he said.

Ms Malone said Peter was then ‘‘wrapped in something’’, put in the back of his ute and taken to a shed before his ute was returned to the roadside to give the impression he had wandered off into the bush.

She said Peter was killed ‘‘in a shed where shooters gathered’’ and that his body was in a mine shaft somewhere in Central Queensland.

Ironically, Mr Johnson said his daughter Evelyn had visited a psychic in Melbourne and been told a very similar story. ‘‘That really threw me then,’’ he said.

The family believes Peter met with foul play and that he had received a number of odd phone calls shortly before his disappearance.

Mr Johnson said they were appealing to the public for information and would consider offering a reward.

Even after three years, Peter’s disappearance has never left the hearts and minds of the Johnson family.

‘‘It’s always there every day,’’ he said.

A Missing Persons Bureau spokesperson said while all information was evaluated, psychic tip-offs were generally not considered.

Mackay police Sergeant Marcus Brown said cases as old as Peter Johnson’s were managed by the Missing Persons Bureau until any new information was deemed worth distributing back to local police.

Anyone with information about Peter Johnson’s disappearance should contact the Missing Persons Bureau on 1800 000 634.


Peter's family still needs closure

TWICE a year George Johnson travels to Mackay from his hometown in Birregurra, Victoria, to drive the Peak Downs Highway looking for his son, Peter.

“I visit different places - Nebo, Glenden, Moranbah - putting up notices and talking to people,” Mr Johnson said.

Peter, who worked at Newlands Mine, Glenden, was last seen on April 17, 2003. He was 36.

His green Ford ute was found abandoned a kilometre north of Boundary Creek Bridge on the Peak Downs Highway.

In his gut Mr Johnson knows his son is dead but that doesn't give him closure.

“No, his disappearance is there every day,” he said.

Missing Persons Week made it “especially hard” to deal with the unresolved loss of his son, he said.

Peter Johnson is one of 13 missing people that Mackay district police have on their files.

Superintendent Rowan Bond said the oldest was a 37-year-old file belonging to Marilyn Wallman, 14, who went missing while walking to school along Sologinkins Road, Rural View, on March 21, 1972.

Of the 13 cases, three are people who have gone missing at sea.

The most recent missing persons case in Mackay was resolved at the weekend.

Darrell John Last, 42, was reported missing after he did not show up for work last month. On Saturday he was found in Nambour.

Supt Bond said some people chose to go missing but he urged them to contact police to let them know they were okay.

“Someone cares enough about them to report them missing so they should contact police so we can tell that person who cares that they are okay.”

Anyone with information regarding the location of a missing person is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

There is a $10,000 reward for anyone who has information that could lead to the discovery of Peter Johnson or those responsible for his disappearance.


Father still prays for missing son

EVEN though it has nearly been 10 years since George Johnson's son, Peter, went missing, he still says a prayer for him every day.

July 31, 2012 Courier Mail


EVEN though it has nearly been 10 years since George Johnson's son, Peter, went missing, he still says a prayer for him every day.

"When he first went missing we were really worried... now we still have hope that the truth will come out about what happened to him, or that someone will come forward (with information)," Mr Johnson said.

"We would love to bring him home, or his remains, to bury him," Mr Johnson said.

His son, Peter James Johnson, was last seen on April 17, 2003. Mr Johnson took some time to reflect when the Daily Mercury spoke to him at the start of Missing Persons Week yesterday.

Originally from Victoria, he had moved to Queensland to find work in the mines and had been living in a workers camp near Nebo.

His disappearance threw his family into a whirlwind of emotions and ongoing pain.

"For a while I couldn't talk to anyone without breaking up," Mr Johnson said.

"Now I can talk about it, and I can talk about him."

Mr Johnson has since gone on a quest for information and has even approached psychics for assistance.

Two psychics, on separate occasions, told him his son was dead.

Police believe that Peter Johnson's disappearance may be linked to foul play and are still calling for public assistance.

Earlier this year, in February, police offered a $250,000 reward for anyone with information about his disappearance.

Peter Johnson's vehicle, a green 1988 Ford ute, was found abandoned on the Suttor Development Rd, near Lake Elphinstone, the day he disappeared.

"His car was found facing on-coming traffic... it's just not something Pete would do... he really took care of his vehicles," Mr Johnson said.

He describes his son as a man who would do anything to help someone out.

"He was just an all-round good bloke," Mr Johnson said.

"He used to call home, about once a fortnight; he would always say 'I love you, Dad.' He would say that every time he called."

"I think Missing Persons Week is important because it gets people talking about what happened... it might jolt something in someone's memory... even if it might not seem important, it might be important to the police.

"It's good to get people talking about these things as well."

Father holds on to missing son's car for 10 years

IT has been 10 years since Peter Johnson disappeared and his father George has kept his car all that time, hoping his son would one day arrive to reclaim it.

GEORGE Johnson has held on to his son Peter's car for 10 years.

The family had the green 1988 Ford ute brought from Queensland to Victoria after it was found abandoned on the Suttor Development Rd, near Lake Elphinstone, on April 17, 2003.

Since his son's disappearance, Mr Johnson has held on to the "nice utility" with the hope his son would some day arrive to reclaim it.

"I think I'll be selling it soon though," Mr Johnson said.

"I said I'd give it 10 years and sure enough it's come up so quick."

Today marks a decade since Peter is believed to have met with foul play.

In a cruel twist of fate, it is also George's birthday.

But instead of lighting candles on a birthday cake, the Johnson family and their friends will light a candle for Peter.

Mr Johnson said he was disappointed a police reward of $250,000, announced early last year, had failed to bring forth any new information.

"We had high hopes then that somebody would recall something, something small," Mr Johnson said.

"It doesn't matter how small or insignificant a thing it is ... but to the police it might mean a heck of a lot."

Mr Johnson is convinced his son learnt something that led to his death.

He recalled a phone call from Peter to a family friend during which Peter said: "I'm going to the west if I can keep away from the arsehole who's after me."

Mr Johnson has tried everything to learn what happened to his son.

He has been to psychics in Melbourne and Sydney, and members of his family have been to hypnotherapists.

But nothing concrete has been revealed, and he has continued to plea for assistance from the public.

"Come forward," he said.

"That's what we want. I think people might have inklings or may have seen something small and feel it may be of no interest to anyone, but to the police it could well be. "We're all feeling sad, naturally, and just still hopeful the offering of this reward will bring somebody forward."

Peter would have been 46 this year.

Father will never stop searching for his son

GEORGE Johnson wasted little time at the airport.

Dressed in a striped green jacket, black dress pants and polished shoes, Mr Johnson arrived in Mackay on Friday to continue a decade-long search for his son Peter's body.

Appearing uncomfortable in the tropical sun, Mr Johnson quipped he'd had a nice flight, and hurried off to his hire car to again travel west along the Peak Downs Hwy.

Peter, who worked at Newlands Mine, Glenden, was last seen on April 17, 2003. The then 36-year-old's green Ford ute was found abandoned a kilometre north of Boundary Creek Bridge on the Peak Downs Hwy.

Although initially suspecting Peter may have committed suicide, police now believe he met with foul play.

It's an opinion his father shares.

"When it first happened if I had the means at my disposal I'd have killed them," Mr Johnson said, speaking of the faceless men he believes murdered Peter.

"Now I'd say to them why. "Why and how could you do what you did to him?"

Mr Johnson has travelled from his home in Birregurra, Victoria, to Mackay nearly every year since Peter disappeared.

Ordinarily, Mr Johnson would post flyers with Peter's photo on them along the highway and at hotels between Eton to Moranbah.

But this year is different.

This year Mr Johnson has been given a new lifeline in his search to discover Peter's remains and "give him a proper Christian burial".

"Considering the minister for police has offered a $250,000 reward, we were hoping it might bring a bit of information forward," Mr Johnson said.

This year's flyer details the reward on offer, and the circumstances surrounding Peter's death.

"Surely somebody knows something about what happened to Pete."

Since the reward was announced in late 2012, police have told Mr Johnson and his wife Heather new information about their son's disappearance has emerged.

"We think the reward money might be bringing someone forward," Mr Johnson said.

Mr Johnson's visit coincided with the beginning of National Missing Person's Week.

Each year more than 35,000 people are reported missing across Australia.

During his journey, Mr Johnson stopped into the Retreat Hotel - one of Peter's favourite watering holes.

"He'd be sad that we're worried," Mr Johnson said.

"But he'd be glad we're coming up ... and we're not letting up until something is finalised."


GEORGE and Heather Johnson have received little information about Peter since he was last seen driving on the Suttor Development Road.

Other than a call from Peter to a family friend expressing concern someone was out to get him in the weeks before he disappeared, the family have little evidence.

In their search to find answers, they have employed the help of psychics and hypnotherapists.

A devout Christian, Mr Johnson said he used to think psychics were a "load of hocus pocus" before Peter's death.

But he said three different people with psychic abilities had told him similar stories, and he hoped police would now be able to use that information to apprehend Peter's killer.

"It blew me away," he said.

Queensland Police describe Peter's disappearance as a cold case, and a spokesman said no one had recently come forth with information.

"It remains an open and ongoing cold case investigation and the reward remains in place," the spokesman said.

Mr Johnson said the officer in charge of Peter's case was on leave, and he was unable to meet with him during his recent journey.

Anyone with information should contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.


PETER is last seen in his Ford Utility on the Suttor Development Rd near Lake Elphinstone (north of Nebo) at 10.40am.

The vehicle was later found 2km from Boundary Creek on the Peak Downs Hwy.

A FAMILY friend tells Peter's parents of a phone call during which Peter said: "I'm going to the west if I can keep away from the a***hole who's after me."

PETER'S father, George Johnson, visits psychic Debbie Malone in Sydney, who tells him his son is dead and mentions four men, a red dog and smoke. He later meets with a second psychic, who tells a similar story.

THE police minister announces a $250,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the disappearance of Peter James Johnson.

Present given to SES

IT HAS been more than 10 years since Peter Johnson went missing, and the pain of not knowing still hurts his family.

Peter, who worked at Newlands Mine, near Glenden, was last seen on April 17, 2003. The-then 36-year-old's green Ford ute was found abandoned a kilometre north of Boundary Creek Bridge on the Peak Downs Hwy.

His sister Evelyn said the State Emergency Service searched high and low for her elder brother.

"They (SES) did an above-and-beyond job at the time," she said.

The Johnson family did not give each other presents yesterday on Christmas Day, instead they donated money to the Mackay unit of the SES.

"At Christmas we didn't know what we were going to do with presents, and we don't have small children anymore, so I just said 'why don't we just donate to those amazing people at the SES in Mackay?'," Evelyn said.

"We just decided to send some money up to help the SES volunteers."

The Johnson family is from Victoria but Evelyn said they had received amazing support from the Mackay community since her brother went missing.

"I know it was 13 years ago but the SES were so good," she said. "Even though we're two states away, we heard stories of a pregnant lady that was searching... and refused to give up.

"We didn't want them (SES) to think that we weren't grateful because we didn't have family up there... we want people up there to know that we think about it all the time, the effort that was put in."

Evelyn said it was tough for the family not knowing what had happened to Peter.

"It is hard and it doesn't go away," she said.

"People may assume that as the years go by it gets easier but it doesn't."

"We talk about him constantly."


Missing man's parents: 'All we want now is closure'

EVERY year in Australia about 35,000 people are reported missing to police – one person every 15 minutes.

By Luke Mortimer - Courier Mail

EVERY year in Australia about 35,000 people are reported missing to police - one person every 15 minutes.

The vast majority (95%) are eventually found, but Peter Johnson, who went missing from Nebo in 2003, has not been so lucky.

Mr Johnson's parents, George and Heather Johnson, have been hunting for clues about their son's disappearance ever since.

"Every time you hear of somebody being found your heart stops," Mrs Johnson said.

"Everyone's still thinking of him. It's just baffling.

"Whatever's happened has happened. All we want now is closure."

According to Queensland Missing Persons Unit (QMPU), Peter James Johnson was last seen at 10pm on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 standing next to his parked green 1998 Ford ute (522EZX) on the Peak Downs Hwy, near Boundary Creek bridge, Nebo.

The car was recovered and was locked but Peter, aged 36 at the time, remains missing and all inquiries have failed to determine why he disappeared.

Investigating police believe he may have met with foul play and Mr and Mrs Johnson agree, fearing their son may have had a run-in with the wrong crowd.

They've visited a number of psychics over the years and while they said they no longer hold out hope that Peter remains alive, they want closure, and a proper burial for their son.

"I know he's gone. We just want to bring him home," Mr Johnson said.

"There's still the $250,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

"If you know something, any little thing at all, it could help. But no one has come forward with anything yet.

"Don't be fearful of contacting Crime Stoppers. You can be anonymous."

The Johnson's sad story by no means an isolated case - QMPU lists 56 people as missing in the state alone.

If you can help call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.