Marilyn Ruth QUALMANN



Missing since September 21, 1975 from Riverland, South Australia
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics


Circumstances of Disappearance
Marilyn Qualmann was last seen by her sister on 21 September 1975.
Marilyn had lived at Birrallee Hostel at Berri SA and attended Glossop High School. On the weekends she would return home to her parents’ home at Moorook.

While Marilyn had a history of running away from home, she had usually been located at neighbours' homes. On this occasion, however, a search of the local area and subsequent wide spread investigations failed to provide any indication as to her whereabouts.

Although there were some unconfirmed sightings of Marilyn at the time, no further evidence has been discovered, and Major Crime investigators believe there is a possibility that Marilyn may have been murdered or abducted.

A reward of up to $1,000,000 remains on offer to anyone who either provides information leading to the recovery of their remains or information leading to a conviction in the case.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or at


                                                             $1million reward


The disappearance of Marilyn Qualmann (14) from her home on Moorook Rd, Moorook on 21 September 1975.

On Sunday 21 September 1975 Marilyn Qualmann went missing from her home on Moorook Rd, Moorook (near Kingston-on-Murray) and she was reported missing the next day.

The last confirmed sighting of her was about 9.00am on Sunday 21 September 1975, by her sister.  Despite suggestions that the 14-year-old had run away from home, investigators believe she met with foul play.

At the time there was an exhaustive search conducted of the River Murray at Moorook which did not assist with locating Marilyn.  There has been no contact with her since this date and her disappearance is regarded as suspicious.

What ever happened to Marilyn?

Nigel Hunt
Sunday Mail (SA)


JUST like Michaela Godau, Major Crime detectives have little doubt Marilyn Qualmann has been murdered.

Although the two crimes occurred almost seven years apart and are not linked, their circumstances are eerily similar.

Marilyn, 14, disappeared from her Riverland home on Sunday, September 21, 1975. She was last seen by her sister about 9am that day and police were advised by her mother the next day that her daughter had run away from home.

Detective Brevet Sergeant Tanya Mason, the Major Crime case officer, said police now believed she had been murdered and her body disposed of. “She took nothing with her and there have been no confirmed sightings,’’ she said.

Marilyn, who had learning difficulties, attended Glossop special school and often stayed in the Birralee Hostel at Berri. On weekends she would return to the family home at Moorook with her mother, stepfather, an older sister and younger stepsister.

Marilyn had a history of running away from home and would later always be located at a neighbour’s house. On this occasion she simply vanished.

While Riverland police initially conducted missing person’s inquiries, after several weeks the file was passed to major crime when it became apparent Marilyn had not run away.

Police divers conducted searches along a 5km section of the River Murray and extensive land searches were also conducted around her home.

Investigations had revealed allegations of abuse. Marilyn’s stepfather — who died in 2004 — was questioned after Marilyn’s disappearance.

“When questioned, he admitted to physically disciplining her, but in his view it was lawful chastisement,’’ Det-Brevet Sgt Mason said.

“She had been seen previously with significant bruising and there was never any proper explanation given for that.

“There is every likelihood the secret of what happened to Marilyn has been taken to his grave,” she said.

A reward of $1 million is available for anyone who provides information that helps solve the case or assists in locating Marilyn’s remains.