Roy Frederick NAYLOR and Sonya Marie NAYLOR




Sonya Marie Naylor, then aged 19, and Roy Frederick Naylor, then aged 27, were last seen alive in July 1984 at a motel on Anzac Highway, Glenelg. The Naylors were believed to be involved in the distribution of drugs in South Australia and had links to New South Wales. After writing to family in late June or July 1984 the Naylors have not been seen or heard from since.

Police suspect they have both been murdered.

If you have information that may assist police in the disappearance of Sonya and Roy please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Case Date: June 1, 1984

Location: Anzac Highway, Glenelg

REWARD $200,000


Sonya Naylor & Roy Naylor
Missing presumed murdered

Sonya Marie Naylor, aged 19, and Roy Frederick Naylor, aged 27, were last seen alive in June 1984 at a motel on Anzac Highway, Glenelg.

The Naylor’s were believed to be involved in the distribution of drugs in South Australia and had links to New South Wales. After writing to family in late June or July 1984 the Naylor’s have not been seen or heard from since.

Police suspect they have both been murdered.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on
1 800 333 000, on-line or 
email an investigator

Reference Number: MCIB CM86/22


Cold case: Disappearance and murders of Roy and Sonya Naylor in June 1984 likely to remain unresolved

THE disappearance and murders of Roy and Sonya Naylor in June, 1984, are likely to remain unresolved, with the likelihood of ever charging anyone with the murders being remote.

Nigel Hunt
Sunday Mail (SA)


SITTING in his prison cell awaiting trial for murder, career criminal Lloyd Murray Reed had nothing to lose.

Opposite him were two Major Crime detectives who were not expecting what would happen next as they quizzed Reed, seeking answers to try to solve one of South Australia’s more sinister double-murder cases.

The usually candid bank robber, heroin dealer, serial prison escapee and now accused killer told the detectives the man he stood accused of murdering was, in turn, responsible for the deaths of missing Adelaide couple Roy and Sonya Naylor.

It was both the turning point in the inquiry and, in reality, the end of any hope of ever bringing anyone to justice over the death of the Naylors.

Asked if he could shed any light on the disappearance of the couple to assist their shattered parents, Reed simply replied: “Just tell them they won’t be coming back.’’

The disappearance and murders of Roy, 29, and Sonya, 21, in June, 1984, are likely to remain unresolved.

While that reality is blunt and will offer little consolation to their surviving siblings, the likelihood of ever charging anyone with the murders is remote. The prime suspect is dead, as are possible witnesses, and those still alive are reluctant to assist police.

The Naylors’ deaths are a textbook example of what can happen to those who choose to live in the criminal underworld and become heavily involved in drug trafficking.

Roy was a significant player in the South Australian drug underworld. He was the local link in a national heroin distribution syndicate that was being operated by Sydney criminal identity Bruce Douglas Sandery.

Sandery, who was murdered in Sydney in 1988, was importing huge quantities of heroin which would then be distributed throughout the country. Roy would take delivery of heroin from Sandery and use his network of dealers to distribute the drug in SA.

He and Sonya lived the high life. Like many involved in the drug trade, money passed through their hands quickly. They were renting an apartment in the up-market Atlantic Tower motel and restaurant, at Glenelg, and Roy had a love of American muscle cars. Trans-Am Mustangs were his favourites.

Major Crime Case officer Senior Constable Edward Boyes said information was received “infrequently’’ from the public concerning the case. The most recent calls had corroborated intelligence police already had.

While the investigation into the Naylors’ murders is ongoing, detectives are realistic about achieving any breakthrough.

He said while Reed, who is now 65, had nominated Sydney heroin trafficker Jack Wilson as responsible for the Naylors’ deaths, others involved in the underworld had since corroborated this.

And Reed himself was a person of interest in the case because of his criminal activities and relationship in the heroin trafficking industry with the Naylors.

“There was a large heroin syndicate running at that time. There were debts involved,’’ Sen-Const. Boyes said. The recovery of the Naylors’ remains is now a major focus of the investigation, simply to enable their respective families to obtain closure.

Detectives have no clear motive for the murders but are confident it revolved around their heroin trafficking activities. Roy was awaiting trial on conspiracy charges after being caught in a major undercover sting, dubbed Operation Wire, that resulted in several players in the syndicate, including Sandery, being charged in 1983.

Roy’s death hampered the prosecution case and assisted Sandery, but no evidence has emerged to indicate this was the motive for the murders.

Reed shot Wilson during a drug deal at Tarcutta, in rural NSW, in 1986. Police found more than $300,000 in cash and more than $1 million in heroin near the scene of the murder. He would be convicted of manslaughter and spend seven years behind bars.

Major Crime officer-in-charge Detective Superintendent Des Bray, who was involved in Operation Wire, said the emphasis in the Naylor inquiry was now focused on recovering their remains.

“It is likely there are people still alive who know what took place,’’ he said.

“All of the families of the pair are elderly, some are deceased. Recovering their bodies is as important today as it was when they disappeared.’’

Detectives have no firm leads on the remains of the Naylors, with information received over the past 30 years ranging from them being buried at Port Gawler to being dumped at sea. A $200,000 reward is available for both information leading to a conviction in the case and the recovery of the Naylors’ bodies.

“If you get involved in the drug trade, the most likely outcomes are you will either end up in prison, destroy your life or you’ll come to some harm,’’ Det-Supt Bray said.

SA police make fresh plea in cold case

  New Daily

South Australian police have issued a fresh plea for information to help find the bodies of a young couple involved in the drug trade who went missing more than 30 years ago.

Roy Naylor, 27, and his 19-year-old wife, Sonya, were last seen at a motel in Adelaide, where they were living in 1984. In 1990 a coroner ruled that the pair were most likely dead, probably the result of their heavy involvement in the heroin trade.

Detective Senior Constable Edward Boyes said while the Naylors were thought to have been murdered, finding their bodies was important to family members.

“Both Roy and Sonya have families who are still struggling with this, and I would appeal for anyone with information that could lead to the recovery of their bodies to speak up now,” he said.

“Finding them is as important to their families today as it was 30 years ago.”
Detective Boyes said the Naylors reportedly owed a substantial drug debt and were known to be part of a large-scale syndicate bringing heroin to Adelaide from Sydney before distributing it to local dealers.

Roy Naylor had been jointly charged with drug trafficking but had not faced trial at the time of his disappearance.


“They were among the major players in the heroin scene at the time,” he said.
“There were a number of stories swirling through the drug community about what happened to the Naylors and why.

“We don’t know the answers to why exactly they disappeared or where their bodies are, and it could even be that those involved in their deaths are already dead themselves.”

Detective Boyes said there had been reported sightings of the couple after they went missing but nothing had been corroborated.

Extensive inquiries had been conducted throughout Australia and with Interpol overseas, but there was no evidence the couple were alive.